|Thread:||Dark Gray 6/0|
|Body:||Gray Fur (50 % Black Beaver & 50% #23 Charcoal Gray Antron)|
|Wing:||Elk Hock (dark brown or dyed dark gray)|
Notes on tying:
1. Wrap thread to hook bend and secure gold wire.
2. Dub the body with gray fur to a space 1 hook eye width behind eye.
3. Rib the gold wire over the body and secure in front.
4. Cut and stack a bunch of elk hair (about diameter of a pencil lead).
5. Attach hair for wing in tent style and trim of excess hair for head.
6. Whip finish.
The color of this fly was developed to match Apatania. Fishing it upstream dead drift is the most productive. This pattern works well on Spring Branch when there are incredible hatchs of caddis. The trout seem to be very selective and prefer this fly with no hackle.
Nate Hopkins 23 Durham Ct., Iowa City, IA 52240