|Tail:||Gray Squirrel Tail|
|Legs:||Red or Grizzly Hackle Between Tinsel and Chenille|
|Thorax:||Fine Black Chenille|
|Eyes:||Small Bead Chain|
Notes on tying:
1. The tail is a small clump of gray squirrel tail tied in the figure 8 wrapped at the base to get to stand up slightly.
2. Tie in tinsel on near side of hook then make a wrap between tail around the hook and wrap 1/2 way to eye of hook.
3. Tie in and wrap hackle around hook 2 times for legs.
4. Tie in Chenille, advance thread and tie in the eyes.
5. Move thread to in front of eyes, wrap the chenille, and whip finish.
This is a pattern based on a steelhead fly called the Rusty Squirrel Optic. It is a very good fly for bluegills. Use it with a slow jigging action with long pauses.
Lance Zook 4000 Rodgers Road NW Cedar Rapids, IA 52405